Water workout

Posted: 02 December 2016 12:44 PM
Rank
I tend to be very heat sensitive and that can sidetrack exercise programs. Several years ago, while recovering from a foot that had been fractured in many places, I discovered the value of exercising in cool water. I can do exercises in cool water for 30 minutes at a time where my max before becoming overheated on a mat would be 3-5 minutes. Public swimming pools are often a bit cold for me and "arthritis" pools a bit warm. We ultimately put a cool water jacuzzi in our home and I am able to exercise daily now in that and have regained most of mobility lost to that injury and to being an aging person with MS. Water temp is a personal thing. I tend to aggravate spasticity in water that is in the 80 degree range but have found that in the summer with the heat in the house, that is a good temp at which to work out. In the winter when the room is in the 60s, I keep the temp set at around 90 in the water and that works well.
  •  
Posted: 05 December 2016 12:11 PM   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Rank
Thank you so much for sharing. What a wonderful way to stay active and get in your exercise! Not only does the water work well for temperature regulation but it is great for your joints. It also sounds like it could be very relaxing and great for muscle tension! Good for you for finding something that works for you. Keep it up and again, thank you for sharing!
  •  

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Receive all the latest MS News directly to your inbox!